Project Controls Analyst
This position will be responsible for providing timely and quality project monitoring and cost control information for major projects. In order to meet the requirements of this position, the incumbent will be knowledgeable in all financial aspects of the project (work breakdown structures, budgets, commitments, expenditures, accruals, contracts, schedules and estimates to complete). Regular communication and information sharing with project team, EPCM and contractor firms will be required, whether with their corporate office or directly to field staff. Some limited travel may be expected (infrequently.)
This position will have a primary working relationship with Project Managers for the assigned projects and the Manager, Enterprise Coordination. Other key relationships will be with the Project Team, Department Management, Field Technicians and Area Managers, Engineering & Projects, Procurement, Financial Reporting, Tax, Budgets & Cost of Service, Accounts Payable, IT, Legal and EPCM and contractor firms.
• Provide various types of management and financial reports, analysis and recommendations for use by Project Managers and senior management. Prepare and maintain working papers to support same.
• Act as the primary source for financial information and advice relating to the assigned projects and be a financial resource person for the group, regardless of subject matter.
• Act as a member of the Project Team while maintaining an independent review and presentation of project cost and progress (historical and forecasted). Financial leadership in the form of participation, review and documentation with the Project Manager in any budget development or reforecast of activities is required.
• Perform ongoing review of appropriate processes and procedures to record and report actual, commitments and forecasts to complete. As the project progresses, this becomes increasingly more discretionary & involves reliance on understanding of cost reporting & control issues and methodology.
• Manage the provision of accounting and cost management services. Guide the development of policies and procedures for all areas of responsibility and ensure adherence on an ongoing basis.
• Ensure processes and technologies utilized by the project related functional departments (that affect the project) are regularly evaluated and initiatives that can increase the efficiency and effectiveness of accounting and cost management services are introduced where justified.
• Responsible for project cash forecasting and compliance re any requirements that may affect the Accounting area.
• Facilitate decision making at any level of the organization regarding new or revised systems processes and programming of reports that may impact projects.
• Under the support of Enterprise Coordination and the Project Committee, this role will participate heavily in the development, implementation and institutionalizing of project cost accounting and cost management approaches, processes and practices.
• Business degree with minimum 4th level professional Accounting designation enrollment.
• At least 5 years of progressive experience in project cost control, monitoring and financial/management reporting.
• Equivalent combinations of education and experience will also be considered.
• Demonstrated independence in meeting productivity and quality targets.
• Varied accounting experience and financial well roundedness is absolutely critical.
• You will have considerable experience in the integration of the various SAP modules used at our Clients and the ability to interpret that for others. Similar integration experience on other ERP systems will be considered.
SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, ETC:
• Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with clients and to understand their business.
• Demonstrated organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple demands on your time.
• Demonstrated initiative to bring opportunities to your clients.
• Demonstrated analytical skills with strong attention to detail and presentation.
• Demonstrated interpersonal skills with the ability and willingness to partner across various support groups as needed across the organization.
• Demonstrated written communication skills.
• High level working knowledge of software including: SAP, Excel and Word.